The average concentration time of a normal person is 8 seconds. It takes 5 to 8 minutes to read a 1000 words article and the human brain assigns more importance to visual assets, so video is the perfect medium to grab the attention of the audience in a short timespan.
Types of video
Mainly there are four types of videos that can help businesses and websites convert customers. These are Explainer Videos, How-To Videos, Testimonials and Product Demos.
- Explainer videos are crafted for explaining a process or product to direct towards a purchase, and they should be short and precise.
- How-To videos describe a method or process, such as DIY videos, or installing software. These kind of videos can reduce the workload of support or helpline of the company.
- Testimonial/case study videos show the credibility of the business with clients or customers talking about the efficiency of the business and what their success with the services.
- Product Demos are similar to How-To videos, demonstrating the product and how it will be beneficial to the buyer. SaaS companies which do not provide a free trial are more likely to add a product demo.
Amongst these categories, Explainer Videos can increase conversion rates significantly.
Some brief guidelines and best practices to promote good ROI:
- Make it short
- Use a good and compelling thumbnail
- Include a Call to Action in the video to convert the traffic to leads.
- Include subtitles where possible
Why Explainer Videos?
Trust and credibility: A good explainer video should educate and engage a customer, with the goal to guide them further down the sales funnel. Well crafted explainer videos give your company trust and credibility and make your audience feel empowered to make a purchase.
More information in short span: As per Forrester Research, a moment of video is worth 1.8 Million words. With this in mind videos are that much powerful in conveying the right message to your potential customers.
Boost conversion and sales: Explainer videos are known to increase conversions on landing pages — sometimes significantly, such as in Crazy Egg's case which increased conversions by 64%.
SEO and ranking: By watching videos, visitors spend more time on your webpage. This will add more SEO value to the website and increase the search visibility and ranking.
Brand and personality: Explainer videos are also a great opportunity to share your brand voice.